HOW WE CAME TO BE
Who We Are
The Church of the Nazarene in Oakland, Maryland was organized on September 21, 1948. There were 15 charter members, all of which had been associated with the Union Holiness Tabernacle on Third Street in Oakland. During its first year, a large lot on the corner of Alder and Eighth streets was bought for the church by Stanley Ashby for $1800. This would become the present location of the church. Stanley Ashby was integral in the construction of the church building; serving as general contractor and funding much of the building project. Through the generosity and contributions of many people in the community, the church became a thriving place for doing the work of the Lord. Those first members believed the best days were still ahead, and 70 years later, we echo that sentiment. We believe that our great God is alive and at work in Oakland, Maryland.